SAMPLE SCRIPTS FOR LEGISLATIVE COMMUNICATIONS
Connecting by Phone
- Dial (515) 281-3371 to be connected to the Senate switchboard and ask to be connected to your Senator.
- Dial (515) 281-3221 to be connected to the House switchboard and ask to be connected to your Representative.
Hello! My name is __________ and I am a constituent of yours from __________. I am calling today to urge you to fully fund the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund this year. Protecting our natural resources is too important to put off – now is the time. Iowans have consistently and emphatically proven that they want this funded. In fact, 66 percent of Iowans support a revenue enhancement to fill the trust fund. The time is now, and I am looking forward to your leadership to fund the trust.
Tips for a Successful Phone Call
- Thank your legislator for the work s/he does for your district, especially on issues important to YOU.
- Tell a story that explains why this matters to you. Personal stories are more compelling to legislators than facts and figures.
- Talk about how fully funding the trust will impact your area. Legislators are more likely to connect with a cause if it is close to home and will affect their constituents.
- Use polling numbers sparingly to support your point of view. Numbers offer concrete support and are memorable, but only if you’ve already “hooked” the legislator with a personal or local connection.
- Finally, using a legacy message could be meaningful for legislators. This could include talking about how supporting natural resources could be the kind of legacy we as Iowans will be leaving for future generations.
- If you are unable to speak to your legislators and have to leave a message, let them know it is important they fund the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund this year.