The 2016 legislative session has ended, but many important Iowa elections are taking place this year. You can still make your voice heard by your legislators by visiting a candidate forum in your area. Please check the websites and Facebook pages of candidates running to represent your district in the 2016 Iowa legislative elections, and visit a forum between now and the election in November.
Remember to ask candidates what they will do for natural resources, outdoor recreation, and water quality in Iowa. And remember to VOTE in the general election on November 8.
During the legislative session, Senators and Representatives often hold legislative forums in their home districts on weekends, in order to hear from their constituents on issues important to them. When the legislature is in session, this page will contain a list of legislative forums and links to more information about each one.
What to Expect
- Local state senators and representatives sitting on a panel taking comments and questions from constituents
- Casual environment
- Free and open to the public
What to Do
- Voice your personal reason for encouraging legislators to fund the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund
- Ask questions
Example Questions to Ask
- Do you think funding the Trust would be good for the natural resources in our area?
- Will you support funding the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund?
- Iowa's Resource Enhancement and Protection (REAP) program provides excellent quality of life benefits and will finally be fully funded when the Trust is funded. Will you support REAP?
- Shouldn't Iowa be addressing the fact that half of our waterways fail to meet water quality standards?
- How can we address the loss of 5 million acres of wetlands that help prevent flooding and provide wildlife habitat?
- Can we afford to keep losing soil when it is a major driver of Iowa's agricultural economy?
- Iowans voted for the Trust Fund back in 2010 - how long should we expect to wait before it gets funded?